Artist statement

to see more photographs see also : http://arttheodoralenka.blogspot.fr/

vendredi 1 août 2008

PASSAGE SUR LE PONT

One day I discovered in the novel Divisadero by Michael Ondaatje a passage which struck me by it's layeredness and the poetic content. I've translated and slightly adapted the text from the Dutch translation I've been reading into French. I then engraved it onto a 4 mm thick transparent glass plate, and clipped it with a steel construction onto the railing of a bridge across the river Arroux. This work was  shown at the Biennale for visual arts not far from the old roman city Autun in Burgundy, France. The theme of the Bienale was  Passage.




layeredness of words, clouds and river bed
click sur l'immage pour agrandir le photo pour pouvoir lire le text

translation of the engraved text: Recently I've read in a novel by Ondaatje how one of the characters, a writer, has read in an essay the response of an other writer, whom had been asked what his ideal career would be. His answer was that he would like to be responsible for a river for only a brief period, maybe for two hundred years or so.

Aucun commentaire: